Cities, growth and rebalancing the UK economy
Wednesday 21st October, 5.00pm – 8.30pm
RGS – IBG, London
A respected panel of experts discussed with an audience of policy-makers, influencers, practitioners, academics and business leads the UK Government’s plans to rebalance the UK economy. Panellists reflected upon the Government’s flagship ‘Northern Powerhouse’ policy, discussing whether this is likely to achieve the stated aims of shifting employment and growth away from the dominance of London and the South East, towards towns and cities in the North of England.
Blog in advance of the event, outlining the policy context for the discussion and links to further reading .
A summary of discussion at the event will be available to download in due course.
- On 3 December 2015, the RGS-IBG will be at the Great North Museum, Newcastle, hosting a public meeting exploring ‘Decentralisation: what’s in it for the North?‘. This is a free event for all who are interested in the topic.
- A ’21st Century Challenges’ public discussion meeting on 15 September 2015 explored the topic of ‘London: too big to succeed?’
Questions discussed included:
- How can we deliver effective governance?
- How can we boost productivity in city regions by investing in human capital, skills and innovation?
- What does evidence suggest could be the most successful infrastructure investments in financially challenged circumstances?
- How can creating desirable, liveable spaces contribute to growth and rebalancing?
- Is a ‘one size fits all’ approach appropriate for core cities?
The event was chaired by Andrew Carter, Deputy Chief Executive and Deputy Director of Policy and Research, Centre for Cities.
Tom Bloxham MBE: Urban Splash
Sir Peter Hendy CBE: Network Rail
Chairman. Former Commissioner of Transport for London.
Mark Dorsett: Caterpillar
UK Country Director
Professor Ron Martin: University of Cambridge
Professor of Economic Geography. Member of Lead Expert Group on the Future of Cities, Foresight Programme, UK Government.
Professor Brian Robson OBE: University of Manchester
Emeritus Professor. Founder of the Centre for Urban Policy Studies. Leading expert on evaluating the impacts of urban policy.
Pingback: Speakers announced for ‘Cities, growth and rebalancing the UK economy’: 21 October | 21st Century Challenges
Pingback: Sir Peter Hendy and Tom Bloxham confirmed as speakers at ‘Cities, growth and rebalancing the UK economy’ | 21st Century Challenges
Pingback: LONDON: TOO BIG TO SUCCEED? 15 September 2015 | 21st Century Challenges
Pingback: Analysing the UK’s North – South Divide | 21st Century Challenges